Monday, March 21, 2016

Musings of the Father of a Peace Corps Volunteer- Ken Maddock

My Father, Ken Maddock, and me, his daughter in Dallas, TX

At one point my daughter Kelli, currently serving as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Fiji, thought it would be interesting if I were to comment on my experiences as a PCV parent. To be honest, until recently I have put it off. Why? Primarily because it has been such a painless experience I thought it would be boring. Kelli was already living far enough away in the states that I didn't see her much anyway, so it hasn't seemed like a huge change. We communicate more often now than when she was in the states! Yes, it is quite different knowing that I can't go to see her by jumping in the car and going for a nice long ride. Her challenges are also quite different than they were back home. Adapting to a new culture is challenging for anyone, but Kelli is well equipped to handle it, with her curiosity, her willingness to accept others as they are, and her outgoing personality. Moving to Fiji of course has its challenges, such as living with lots of bugs and rodents, no hot water for showers, and a lack of access to many of the luxuries she has been used to. On the other hand, she does have access to the internet, although it is spotty at times, and she has running water and electricity. She has been accepted into the community, and seems to be having a great time. Stripping her life of many of the possessions she had, as well as many (but certainly not all) of the financial challenges is probably good for her and allows her to focus on what is important.

So as I thought of all of the above, writing a comment on her blog about how I feel seemed like it wouldn't be that interesting, even to me. However, Cyclone Winston changed all of that. The feelings I had during the experience helped me to understand how different my experience is from that of parents whose children live or attend school in another state. The feeling of helplessness is impossible to describe. Watching the track of the cyclone led to feelings of relief and then of panic, and back again, all within the space of hours. It really hit home that despite the fact that I could chat with her, as well as do video and audio chats that make it seem as if she is right next door, she is halfway around the world. She is in a part of the world that isn't as developed as we are; is ill-prepared to deal with an emergency of this type. It really brought home to me how different her life is now, and how much courage it takes to volunteer for a role like this. That any day she could face a challenge unlike any that someone living in the states would face, and have to deal with that challenge with little or no assistance. It also made me realize how special she is, as well as all of her peers working in underdeveloped areas of the world. Our armed forces put themselves in harms way every day, and I have always admired those who are willing to support their country in this manner. However, I now realize that Peace Corps Volunteers also put themselves in harms way, with little protection and an expectation to immerse themselves into the culture of their new community, leaving their world behind. To me that is just as admirable.

Fortunately the Peace Corps took good care of Kelli and her peers during Cyclone Winston. They are all safe, and Kelli's village and her home avoided the extreme damage that hit some areas of Fiji. My heart goes out to those who lost their lives to this terrible natural disaster. But my heart also goes out every day to Kelli and the other PCV's who donate a considerable portion of their lives to try to help those in developing countries. It hits me every day now how far away she really is and the challenges she faces. I am so proud of her it is impossible to describe. And yes, I worry. I worry a little bit every day. But I know Kelli is strong and will deal with any challenge life throws at her. I know that this experience will help Kelli to grow and become an even stronger and better person than she is today. I know that she will spend her life helping others in one way or another. If she chooses to do that in some location very far from me, I'll miss her badly. But I'll be happy knowing she is making a real, positive difference in people's lives.

-Ken Maddock, Father of PCV

No comments:

Post a Comment