Thursday, September 24, 2015

It's the Little Things

I woke up Tuesday feeling extremely lethargic, headache, sore throat and achey... I checked my throat and saw white spots on my tonsils. I texted our amazing Peace Corps Medical Officer and was tested for strep throat. I tested negative on the rapid test, but because of my symptoms, I was given antibiotics. I don't take penicillin, so they put me on a different antibiotic...the downside is the constant extreme nausea. But in the past few days, I've realized a few things.

1) The gate theory of pain control is real and effective! This means that distraction will minimize pain because your body can only process so much at a time. My stomach pains and nausea went away with distractions.

2) I wouldn't trade this time laughing with my host family and playing uno in Fijian for anything.

3) Sometimes something as simple as a hot bucket bath is all you need to make you feel a ton better.

4) We all have our own personal struggles; treat everyone extremely kindly. Every single Peace Corps Trainees has personal drama and struggles back in America. We all lead double lives; neither of which intersect. It's so important to be patient and remember why we signed up!

This is a short post because I'm writing on my phone; therefore, please excuse the typos.

PS: I have no envelopes or stamps to mail anything yet, but I LOVE MAIL! A simple letter from home literally will make my month. My contact info page has my address! Shout out to Annie B. For the first letter.

PSS: We have our host volunteer visits next week where we get to stay with a current volunteer for a few days... Once again, I'm on the beach! :) I get to stay with a volunteer who was supposed to complete the Hindu Firewalking Ceremony last year and I am stoked!!

Love you always,

Kelli Maddock, MMT, MT-BC, PCT

Tau Tauvata (Same Same!) My 3 year old host sister, Ilisapeci.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kelli! First, hope you are feeling better! That had to be a little rough! Second, even though you are half a world away you are still having an impact here. One of the freshmen MT students is here at Drury partly because she met you at your internship back home in TX! She didn't know about your PC adventure but I'm going to share your blog with her. Keep being amazing!
    Darlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. How awesome! She was very passionate!

    ReplyDelete